Saturday 16 July 2016

Book Review - The One By Kiera Cass

The One by Kiera Cass
(Third book to The Selection)

Publisher: Harper Teen

Release Date: 05 June 2014

Pages: 336

Summary: When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition nears, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she can lose and how hard she'll need to fight for the future she wants.

My Thoughts: I have no words for this book. It was amazing!! A great finale to this portion of The Selection. It took me less than a day to read this book and I was completely engrossed. It was way to short to satisfy my needs with  these characters! 

The opening chapter just drew me in and the concept of the rebels really intrigued me in this book. The relationship with Maxon and America really developed and I was glad that it didn't just turn into instant love. It really allowed the reader to get to know them better.

 I also liked that the relationship between the remaining four girls became so much stronger and they had a few fun, light moments that were so lovely to read! Everything about this book is gorgeous.

*** Spoilers ***

I have to talk about some of the things that happened in this book!! First of all, my hatred for the king grew so much in this book. The way he manipulated America made me so mad, but when she stood up for herself it was so great!

I loved the part at the Convicting when she gave the prisoner her jewels to pay his debt off to the king instead of sending him to prison. I was so proud of her and she really showed the king what she thought of him! She's such a strong female character.

I was also so happy at America's friendship with Celeste, it was so lovely to see Celeste's change of heart and they got on so well. I was devastated when she died and it took me a minute to really process what had happened. I was so upset about it, of all the girls she ended up being my favourite by far.

The ending! Oh. My. God. I was over the moon when Maxon told America he had picked her but then, the shock when he caught her with Aspen! It was such a complication and I couldn't believe it. He said he was going to send her home and I was so sad. I hated Kriss and I felt so bad for America as she really did love Maxon. The love letters he wrote to her were so beautiful and the change in events was horrible.

When the rebels attacked the Great Room and Maxon got shot, I really thought he was going to die. He did realize though that she wouldn't hurt him in the way he thought she had and I was delighted that that issue was resolved! I was so afraid too that Aspen would die as, even though I prefer Maxon, I would hate for him to die either.

I was also so disappointed that the queen and America's dad died! That was such a sad moment in the book! I can't get over it, her dad was such a lovely character.

Overall, the very end was very good. The wedding was lovely and now I just feel empty that America's story it over!!

*** End Of Spoilers ***

I can't recommend this series enough, each book is just perfection and The One has left me so empty!! I wish America's part of the story wasn't over yet and I can't imagine loving another character the same.

If you've read this book, discuss with me in the comments! Make sure to alert for spoilers though because I'd hate for it to be ruined for anyone.

2 comments:

  1. Love your new design Leah...it's class! Also I really love the book cover design of The One....the dress is amazing. What is your favourite book cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Yes, this cover is just gorgeous. There's so many amazing covers I don't know if I can pick one favourite! Made You Up by Francesca Zappia is beautiful so that's definitely one of my favourites.

      Delete