Thursday 18 August 2016

Book Review - The Heir By Kiera Cass

Image result for the heir kiera cassThe Heir by Kiera Cass

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

Release Date: 07 May 2015

Pages: 400

Summary: The Heir is set eighteen years after America and Maxon's Selection. Now the time has come for Princess Eadlyn to hold a Selection of her own. Eadlyn doesn't expect her Selection to be anything like her parents' fairy-tale love story, but as the competition begins, she may discover that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought. 

My Thoughts: I was so disappointed in this book. The charm in Kiera Cass' writing from the original Selection wasn't there at all and it was a really slow read. There was no plot too and I really missed everything about the rebels in the original first three books. I also don't like the way this Selection comes from a perspective inside the palace. 

I went into The Heir hoping that I'd get more from America and Maxon as their characters were always so special. Again, I was so disappointed to find that there was no consistency and their personalities completely disappeared! I feel like Kiera Cass made America seem like a bland, obedient wife and it was one of the things that ruined the novel for me. Her whole fiesty, determined personality didn't show through at all and I definitely didn't feel the same connection to her. Even though she was a minor character, it was no reason for Kiera to lay aside everything that made her character unique and she was no way the role model she was in the first Selection. I was also unsatisfied with how little we got to see of them.

Putting that aside, the main thing that frustrated me was Eadlyn. She was just a spoiled brat and I was constantly reminded of this throughout the book. If she was supposed to come across as a strong, determined female character that did not work at all. You could kind of tell that she was good deep down inside but that very rarely came across. She always said or did the wrong thing and her whole "no one is as powerful as me" slogan just put me off from the word go. It's important that books have a character that you can root for and in The Heir, there definitely was none.

I had no connection to any of the Selected guys and most of them didn't get any time to show off their personalities. Eadlyn was not romantically inclined at all so a lot of the time her dates and conversations with the boys just came across as awkward and fake.

This book was a major disappointment. There was nothing I loved, let allowed liked, in it and it was so plain that I just skimmed the last couple chapters. I am going to finish the series just to get it over with but I've absolutely no hope in it which makes me really sad.

I'd say that you should just read the first three books in The Selection along with the novellas and stop there as this just ruined everything good about the series. America and Maxon seem like completely different characters and they were always my main love in the books. Probably my first and most heartbreaking 1 star rating ever!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment